Question:
Ending of the movie "Open Water 2: Adrift"....... Confusing?
Stephanie Rothslisberger
2009-07-03 08:56:22 UTC
Just watched it on Showtime free preview and the ending was confusing as hell!

Did Amy and Dan survive? If they did, why didnt the fisherman see them? Why was the baby still crying if Amy was there?

Was the entire thing imagined maybe the way the ladder was down when the fisherman found the boat. I heard it was based on a true story of a yacht found in the Mediterrian with no one on board.
Fifteen answers:
STEWIE
2009-07-03 10:12:07 UTC
Amy drowned while trying to save Dan which is why the fisherman didnt see anyone on board other than a crying baby.

The scene where Amy is back on board is actually her ghost/spirit not realizing she had drowned. She finally realizes this when she sees Dan's lifeless body positioned like her father who she also failed to save. She shuts her eyes in agony when she realizes her decision to jump back in the ocean has doomed her baby.

The director has said that all 6 died.
2015-08-17 08:18:57 UTC
This Site Might Help You.

RE:

boutros
2016-09-30 09:23:11 UTC
Open Water 2
Heidi
2016-04-11 10:10:33 UTC
For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axwNd

I can see your point of view about shouldn't there be a way to get back on but at the same time wouldn't that then pose a security risk where anyone could get aboard? As for what happens, well they didn't all decide to go in, one with a fear of water was going to stay aboard but another one not realising her fear picked her up and chucked her over into the sea with their friends following her in. And that is why with the exception of a baby no one was aboard. I won't say who lives or dies because for anyone else that is a spoiler but from the sounds of what you have mentioned as dislikes you will dislike what happens.
Denise
2016-01-28 07:38:17 UTC
movie open water 2 adrift confusing
2014-07-25 12:42:32 UTC
The key points we must keep in mind :

- The Wikipedia article on the Open Water Adrift says one adult surives

- The baby is still crying even after the aging fisherman is no longer around the boat

- And the surviving adult can't be Lauren

The director of the movie indicates one adult survives and it cannot be Lauren because if it truly was Lauren she must have ordered a rescue team to search for the yacht.

But instead, nothing except an aging fisherman who appears to know nothing about the yacht comes along.

The reason Amy looks disappointed at the end is she risked her life once more to save Dan, but it was futile. Dan passed away and that is why he is with his face down. Nobody likes to see a corpse's face

We can still hear the baby crying at the end, after the fisherman's boat is gone.

If Dan and Amy truly died, the aging fisherman must have brought the baby onto his own boat after concluding that nobody else was on the boat.

What happened -

Amy brings unconscious Dan back into the boat.

Amy makes numerous attempts to bring Dan back to his consciousness.

Amy's attempts are futile, and Dan dies.

It has been a very stressful and exhausting night.

Amy finally falls asleep.

In the morning, the fisherman comes by.

He hears the baby crying.

He enters the ship.

He sees the baby crying, and Amy (sleeping) and Dan (no longer alive)

The fisherman concludes it is safe to simply leave the ship.

The biggest clue -

If the fisherman truly have concluded that there was nobody else except the baby on the yacht, the fisherman would have brought the baby into his own boat.

But we can still hear the baby crying after the fisherman goes away.

If the fisherman concluded that there was nobody else on the ship he would have brought the baby into his own ship. But he just goes away

Another hour passes. Amy wakes up. The baby is still crying. The sound of the baby crying was very likely what woke Amy up. Amy concludes Dan died and she brings Dan's body onto the surface of the yacht and puts him on the surface of the yacht with his face down. The baby keeps on crying, and Amy is disappointed that Dan did not survive, and closes her eyes. If that truly was the ghost of Amy then the ghost of Dan would be awake as well. But no, Dan is unconscious (and no longer alive) at the end of the movie which means Dan is gone but Amy isn't
?
2015-12-29 21:34:13 UTC
The Baby, Amy, and Dan survived. Dan with Amy s help got back into the boat. There is no way Amy could have carried Dan up the ladder.
Magenta
2009-07-03 10:04:37 UTC
It's open ended, you can interpret it as you want. The director has not stated whether or not he intended for them to be alive or dead. Many people believe Amy and the baby lived and Dan died.

In the true story they based this on every one died.
Alicia
2016-07-30 18:14:09 UTC
They both lived and the baby to notice at the end when Amy puts the latch down you have to push the ladder up to use it notice how when the fisherman looks at the ladder it is up basically it goes quite because she was able to save Dan and wasn't able to save her dad that day when she was little
charlie
2016-11-12 08:07:03 UTC
My take is no one was on the ship. Amy was with her baby on the bed then comes up from downstairs to see Dan dead. She had pulled Dan to safefty but died earlier in the morning. my takeon it.
memo s
2015-08-10 16:13:37 UTC
the writer who made this movie needs their head examined. How can you even think to make such a heart wrenching movie, so doomed, so upsetting, so who knows what negativity you thought of in your demented brain to put a baby in your script....you are either mentally ill, or you thrive on bullshit like this ....
.
2015-04-05 15:15:24 UTC
If you read the true story from the new all died.. so what is everyone confused about.. they all died and this is a freaking movie for drama... period dan died, she died trying to save him and the baby died of exposure and starvation...
fern
2015-04-11 17:52:55 UTC
If they all died then how did they know all the details of what happened. I guess it must be they all died but the details of how they died must be fiction in the movie with perhaps not the babies details.
Emily
2015-04-13 07:45:32 UTC
I like to think the baby did not die. I have a baby of my own, so that broke my heart.
Tracy
2017-03-30 23:46:58 UTC
Worst ending ever! Not a great flick either...waste of my time, but oh well!