Question:
What can we do to nurture and support aspiring Malaysian filmmakers?
Yasmin Ahmad, film-maker
2007-03-05 01:40:34 UTC
Malaysia is full of aspiring and talented filmmakers who're starting to gain recognition internationally at the major festivals. With an abundance of ideas, passion and perseverance, there are no limits to how far they can go.
Check out other personalities from Malaysia at http://malaysia.promo.yahoo.com/answers/
84 answers:
melvinmah
2007-03-06 20:20:26 UTC
There are many people out there that are eager to find their voice but find themselves in various obstacles to achieve their dream goals.

As a Malaysian by myself, I realized that there are many restrictions that must go off in order for filmmakers to go. Among those are:

1. Have a one-stop centre / production facility where film crews are able to gain access to high-quality film-making or post-production equipment at an affordable rental rate for anybody (rich or poor). Hence companies involved in film equipment say Arri, Avid, Chapman (dollies), Kodak stocks.. must be willing to offer very low rates to promote effective film-making.

2. Build a database whereby aspiring filmmakers can look for crew members and actors that they can ask them to participate in their project. This database will be handled by the FINAS agency so that anyone can look to them for casting and so on.

3. Not only FINAS and Tourism, but private banks / TV networks will have to participate more by soliciting sufficient amount of funds that could cover the entire production including buffer time.

4. If you can't write an original script, you can adapt one! Thus, novelists and playwrights should consider selling the rights of their plays or novels for adaptation at a low price. With that you already have a script already! For example, Stephen King sold the rights of the novella The Apt Pupil to Bryan Singer (Superman Returns) for just $1 only!

5. Everyone involve must understand that film costs a lot of money and unless the ringgit rate is not up to the expected standard, we may have to work at a lower rate.

6. The current rules of Malaysian censorship is crap. They must scrap the current administering mentality and replace with something like in U.S or Singapore. Look at how Spinning Gasing was badly butchered by censorship board!

For those steps above, speed is essential, which is why there must not be any bureaucracy or too many procedures which could be much of a hassle - hence transparency.
KrisFrosz133
2007-03-07 09:04:35 UTC
Honestly, I am sick and tired of watching Malay movies. I got bored of it and I have outgrown it. Just hate them so much! Why? Because the movies are so predictable.

Every damn movie you see will always feature the same faces and the same people. It makes me wanna puke to see Saiful Apek over and over again doing his stupid stunts and puns which is an embarrasment to the Malaysian society. Another thing that I despise Malay movies so much is the dialogue. I guess I'm so use to the western movies that I find the Malay slang and jokes are EXTREMELY LAME AND STUPID.

I recently saw some comedy movies featuring Awie, Apek, Afdlin and his lame gangs and I think they were horrible. Their jokes are extremely poor, their stunts are over the top and seriously, their acting have aged and died years ago. I am sorry to say that but this is how I feel. There are some western movies that are just as humorous and stupid as the malaysian ones but they execute it professionally and are 100 times better than the Malay ones. Even Chinese and Korean movies can perform better.

Romance and sad movies are getting better. I quite enjoy watching Cinta because the camera angles were done artistically and creatively. But then again the plots intend to be so predictable. Another thing I like to stress out is the quality of the movie. Up until now the Malay movies still breathing with the same blurry and 80's-looking kinda quality with the terrible subtitles that are incredibly small and difficult to read. And movies in VCD's?!! Come on, that's so yesterday. Put it in DVD's!!!

What I really would suggest for the Malaysian filmmakers is to really make a thorough research and studies with the foreign film industries and coorperate with them. Make them assist with the movie business to win back viewers like myself into watching Malay movies again. But knowing Malaysian's mentality, that would take another thousand years for that happen. Sigh! This is why I still watch P. Ramlee movies. He'd be ashamed of what has happen to the Malaysian Film Industry. Shame on you guys!!
Toshihiro
2007-03-06 12:36:47 UTC
In Singapore, Jack Neo has become quite successful as a film-maker. I think his success is due largely to the S'pore Govt's support. His earlier shows were openly mentioned by the ex-PM during his public rallies to the whole country. Once the people get to know and hear about him, they are curious and will watch his movies.

Young aspiring Malaysian filmmakers should be given a chance to venture out in bigger ways.

It is important that the Min of Communications, Culture and Arts or other relevant ministry give active support by promoting such talents. Organise some sort of local film festival and let their films be shown.

There needs to be more open-mindedness on the part of the people on top. If they keep wanting to push religion and a particular culture there, then, there will be little progress.

The world is changing so much and so must the Govt of different countries be open to changes.
sam v
2007-03-11 20:40:11 UTC
Nothing. We just support them by doing nothing. We have come so far without any serious help so why change now.

And remove censorship it does not make any sense now

with so many ways to excess porn etc. Improve story lines

redefine comedy and most of all enjoy doing what your are

doing.
Happletree
2007-03-10 11:53:25 UTC
The best answer for me is in the AUDIENCE. For example, if you see a trailer of a new movie which stars a new drop-dead gorgeous young Malay actor working as a nerdy reporter but secretly has superpowers which makes him a man of steel (yes... superman.. assuming that we've not seen the show yet!), then what would your reactions be??

Common reactions from us would be:

1) laugh till our head drop;

2) say 'eee ... nonsense' and refuse to even hear about it;

3) start calling all our friends to tell them about a crazy and weird show coming soon and start a forum to criticize it;

4) start believing that our film industry or even the producers have gone mad?

Seriously, films are produced based on viewers reactions and ratings. If I produced a new movie like Sembilu which rakes in millions, then will I be taking a risk of using a Matrix, Superman, King Kong or even Starwars plot for my next movie? Definitely, that's a NO. At the end of the day, dollars and cents, does matters as its needed to even buy the filmrolls, pay salaries, costumes and etc... unless there are millionaires out there who's willing to donate for this cause (1 in a mllion chance!).

We should leave such creativities to our western counterparts and stick to our own originality. Take Bollywood and Hong Kong whose movies are based also on 'happy endings', 'predictable', 'love story', 'mafia/ganster/gangs' or even horror movies from Thailand, Korea and Japan like The Ring, Ju-On and etc. All these countries have made breakthroughs to the worldwide audience (even won Oscars!).

I lived watching Malaysian movies when I was young but that was because I didn't know the existence of Hollywood but eversince I was permitted to watch them, I never looked back. Of course there were occasions when I do start looking for a Malaysian movie but mostly because if there were so much 'hype' for the movie e.g. Sembilu, where my curiosity to watch it heightened even more when I keep hearing even my grandmother and cousins or friends start talking about it when they meet.

Frankly, its movies like Gubra, Cinta, Tentang Bulan and Sepet which starts me appreciating Malaysian movies again. I also almost fainted when I learned that even my husband who totally don't even listen or watch any Malay/Malaysian songs, dramas or movies (and don't even know who Misha Omar is!), was actually watching these movies with me - normally, he'd start snoring in 2 minutes flat!

So everyone, please stop comparing our local productions against our western counterparts. Each region and country has our own unique identity which we need to maintain. We have to accept that censorship exists and it is necesary for us to draw a line here. Let us not forget that movies are after all entertainment. Are we willing to let or even watch movies of our local Muslim talents involved in 'hot' or 'steamy' scenes be it even mouth to mouth kissing scenes? Always remember that movies are for our entertainment ONLY and we should not compromise our beliefs, culture and religion for the sake of entertainment.

Although I am a Singaporean, but I do see a need to comment. Although I may represent a small community, but my views there are numerous like myself who also contributes to Malaysian's filmmakers. Just as I have begun to appreciate Malaysian movies, I am sure with recent movies like Cinta, Tentang Bulan or Sepet, there will definitely be many more fans won.

Most importantly for the filmmakers, please continue to make such wonderful movies. Realistic movies like memories of our kampung life, a lost love, a family torn, a haunting or etc should capture most of our local viewers because they are more 'believable' and 'original'. This should remain our originality always.
KLmari
2007-03-09 19:04:06 UTC
Simple as a malaysian we should support our own malaysia made product.If we no support who going to support.
sueanna
2007-03-06 22:57:30 UTC
OMG Yasmine Ahmad, the director? Is that rrly u?? I'm a fan of ur films. Your movies is engaging enough and makes me feel proud that it's a full-on malay thing. There will always be pros and cons lah. Like, for eg. Ur movie "Sepet", it was brilliant but if they ever show it at American cinemas, boleh ke they faham? It's a matter of language. Yes, got eng subs but still hard to get that raw recognition in foreign countries...susah lah. Sorry if i sound like a pessimist. Im sure Msian/Sporean local movies will make it big somehow in foreign lands. Insyaallah...
duke d
2007-03-06 20:37:57 UTC
If you solve the issue of finance, the rest will fall in place. You need to make sure everyone in the industry can make a career out of it. One way to go is an non-profitable organization or company to be set up and pitch for advertising commercials. If you garner goverment support, you could get them to endorse this and channel all govt ads, may it be Tourism, Trade ministry or Goverment linked companies which spend millions yearly to the organization/company. Since its a non profitable organization, you could even use this term "in support of the arts" to pitch for jobs from the private sector.

The experience also helps filmmakers and gives them exposure to the arts. The funds or profits that you get from organization/company will help aspiring young talent the funds and needs to grow.

My 2 sens worth.

Rgds,

Duke
keritikan sihat
2007-03-06 20:23:03 UTC
1st of all we have to look at back what are the honest objectives. 2ndly is to

wide the genre of films because till now all of the film genre in Malaysia are

basicly the same. Made people boring and tired with Malaysia's film. We need

to work out for something new and totally different. We have to look for diversity

in film concepts. Nowadays, people getting clever and sensitive with Islamic

sense. So we have to think about the valuable impact to the audience. Something

that can make them think and touching not just entertaining and then gone. That's all for today. tq
absinth
2007-03-05 02:14:57 UTC
I think the most important thing is to change the mindset - it's important (for parents especially) to think of film-making and other arts-related careers as viable pursuits. Perhaps this can be done by showcasing the good work that film-makers and film students are doing. Also, financial support is important - maybe more scholarships for those who want to pursue a career in the arts would help. Cos no matter how much someone might love a job, you might not want to continue with it if you can't make enough to cover your basic needs.
f1re80
2007-03-07 23:09:30 UTC
Since Malaysia is about limits, make those limits clear. So that people can abide by those limits. If they create something not contravening those limits then it must be let go to public.

Create an environment conducive to aspiration and talent.

Create an environment conducive to International recognition.

Create an environment conducive to ideas passion and perseverence.

So now we have got the limits bordering around the conducive environment let's make the rules together let me start:

a) Aspiration & Talents- 1 million dollars does not a great movie make.

b) International Recognition- is outside Malaysia, so Malaysian rules don't apply except in Malaysia.

c) Ideas, Passion, and Perseverence- Just Do It!!
tinktank
2007-03-06 21:03:01 UTC
Personally... I used to watch local films when I was much younger and I remember lovin it! What's happening now is that I'm spoilt for choice. Flipping the channels in abundance, I consider the visuals, i.e. setting, costumes, do the actors say something tacky, then I click on 'info' to read the summary only if I'm not turned off already (all this in 5 - 8 seconds). Local films rarely pass the mark.

Demanding? On the contrary, I think I'm a typical viewer.

To win us over, ensure exceptional QUALITY and then work on the appeal with great marketing (if we've seen enough good local films, we'll be convinced).

However, to achieve real and speedy change to our biased mindset, the film making industry must pool together instead of fighting lone battles. Embark on a campaign to make Malaysian films appealing starting from the product and drive towards making this happen. Will anyone take charge here? Yasmin?
2016-10-16 10:25:07 UTC
Malaysian Movies
Irulan74
2007-03-09 01:20:03 UTC
Hi Yasmin. Firstly, I think you're a shining beacon of hope for the Malaysian film industry.

In all honesty, no one wants to do something for free. And if you want to get paid for it, you got to do or make something that a lot of people want.

Wanting to make a movie and wanting to make a movie that sells are two different things. If a film maker is doing the latter, then you gotta look at what people want.

Unfortunately for the Malaysian audience, we've grown up watching formulaic movies, be it American blockbusters, or Bollywood dance fest or Malay weepies.

And those kinds of movies are the ones broadcasted the most. And the ones that sells.

Most Malaysian movies are formulaic but production techniques used are still a long way off from foreign movies.

But that is something that one can easily learn from.

So, education is one way.

But just because you know how to work the camera, or lighting or sound, it's all meaningless if the story sucks.

What's missing in Malaysia are the storytellers. Except for you, Yasmin, and all the other young up and coming film makers that are cropping up, very few are pushing the envelope when it comes to the storytelling.

There has got to be more to our lives than weepie rags-to-riches, boy-meets-girl, boy-loses-girl, boy-gets-girl-back, overly-melodramatic story lines that the current crop of scriptwriters can come up with.

So, another way is to cultivate good stories. Not sure if it's something that can be taught tho'.

Now, sometimes, there are good stories but the powers that be think that they're not suitable for public viewing. These powers that be are the ones that are doing the most damage.

As viewers of movies, we view what they allow us to view. New thoughts/ideas are most times deemed not suitable for public consumption. That's why our tastes in movies have not progressed much.

These people need to loosen up. They need to realise that new ideas/thoughts does not necessarily corrupt.

New storylines can be told without obscene/violent/sexual elements. Look at the art stuff coming out of Europe or Korea or elsewhere. We don't even have to go too far. Look at Yasmin's films.

But most importantly, these people need to realise that the public is ready for new things. We're in a progressive country. We can't be shielded forever. Otherwise, how are we gonna grow?

So, that's what I think anyway.
keep88
2007-03-07 22:51:38 UTC
I believe the main objective is to get the audience watching the films. To do this, please tone down the number of unrealistic stories (ie. cerita cinta buruk) and make the stories as realistic as possible. I know the problem lies mostly with the latter as making things too realistic may not please the censor boards. I just hope that the censor board can get more lenient on their works cause I believe the more liberal the film maker can be, the better will the product be. I think the film industry should be as liberal as the currently booming and revived Indonesian film industry, which I think partly-caused by the ouster of the Suharto regime.

Only a good film which is not your boring typical story will get more and more people coming back for future releases. Not to forget, indie film makers should be given ample slots whether on the television or the cinema to have their masterpiece shown. In this, we need support not only from fellow filmmakers but also from television station and cinema operators.
rea
2007-03-09 02:17:22 UTC
We, as normal Malaysian, should always support Malaysian movies by watching them, and give constructive critics.

But, Malaysian filmmakers should be more creative and innovative. I watched Gubra and Sepet. The way you present them what makes them interesting to watch, besides making you `think`.

Another movie that attracts my attention is Cicakman. KRU has boldly took old idea from Hollywood and makes it `Malaysian`. Brave gamble from them, but I would think it as a success.

So, the FATE of Malaysian movies mostly depend on filmmakers theirselves. Would you support `Malaysian films` if there is same-old boring idea? Even if its 'Hollywood films', you won't get my support.
bagiladuit
2007-03-09 01:11:19 UTC
A good storyline (one that lasts 90 to 120 minutes) doesnt really need a large budget. But in order to dream up a good storyline is another thing! I'd say the trick is divided into three parts, read, read, and read.

Read anything you can get your hands on. Fiction, non fiction, classics, bestsellers especially, masters, national geographic(magazine not tv), popular science, readers digest. medical journals, law journals, Faust, Sheldon, Grisham, Forsythe, Asimov, Ahadiat even, politics, culture, romance novels(no matter how tacky), spy, adventure, fantasy, sci-fi, you get the drift. To know a little bit about everything is not such a bad thing.

After ten years or so of non-stop reading, you 'll figure out who's a good writer and who's not and also by then you'll have developed a fairly active imagination and figure out a nice little inexpensive story fit for your typical film festival award winning movie. Also, find printed versions of 'the making of ...' So there!
delusionale
2007-03-07 16:47:23 UTC
Malaysia has many great filmmakers. Most tele-movies are really good. Movies... well... need some work. It's really puzzling as I thought, as audiences need to fork out RM6-9, movies have to be of a higher standard than tele-movies. Malaysian film makers need to realise that there's tough competition out there. In fact from all over the world.

I'm from Singapore and I can see that Malaysians and Malay speaking Singaporeans would love to support Malaysian films but we do not want to be shortchanged. We will give credit when credit is due. We are not waiting for the late P.Ramlee's standard, just simple watchable films with great acting. I don't care if some famous singer acts (which is usually a HUGE mistake in most situation). Audiences want to watch something that compel them to get their bottom off the comfort of their couch, travel to the cinema, pay for tickets which they don't actually have to.

Message to filmmakers - > investing in filmmaking education will never hurt you. If it's too expensive, watch 'the making of" part of the DVD.

Message to Yasmin -> I love your movies. Please make more. I've passed DVDs of Sepet to my friends in the US and UK and they absolutely love it.
?
2007-03-09 10:32:28 UTC
Well, they've to learn it by enrolling courses in filming and things like that, study everything -- particularly on what it takes to be the best!

By being brilliant doesn't mean we've to forget the courtesy and manners, aside from common touch of real Malaysians.

What I mean is, we don't necessarily need to copy what have been showed, produced by Hollywood films ~ Malaysia have their own styles that the filmmakers should bring out -- until people find something unique, wonderful things about Malaysia.

By the way, if I AM Afdlin Shauki, I won't make such film - the Sumo Lah. It doesn't show the purity of our identity at all. He has greater options left: like Silat or some martial arts of Malaysia.

Frankly speaking, what we need is clear resolution and improvements - not endless list of compliments like some answerers gave here.

Anyway, I value your bravery and courage in making Sepet and Rabun big, but all the overrated scenes just pissed me off - completely. Pardon my French.

Thanks.
Dang Anum
2007-03-07 19:21:03 UTC
First I must commend Yasmin on her superp films both Sepet and Gubra. I love the subtle handling of sensitive issue like race and religion. Her strength is her attention to details which alot of other directors failed or just could not be bother. Her brevity in putting forward sensitive issue is admirable. I have heard adverse comments on her movies. These are the people the Malay film industry do not need. Kindly move aside.

I enjoyed P Ramlee movies when I was young. He was a brilliant man whose comedy or drama has its message which was relevant to everyday life and its easy to relate to. However thereafter other comedy films were trying to emulate his ,only to fail with its slapstick jokes. P Ramlee's movies are classics. Stop being like him have originality. What one should learn from is his dedication and consistency not his style.

The technic of the malay movie should improve too. Just look at the dubbing. Even the children can spot its defect. Also the background music and sound effects always don't fit the scene.

In a nutshell please get away from the "tidak apa attitude".
gegirl n
2007-03-08 01:15:04 UTC
Just search for new ideas from all young art student and don't ever underestimate the tallent among the young and hardworking students that trying their best to get higher marks by handing over their assignment every month to their lecturer. Not only the art student that have the ideas to aspiring malaysian filmmakers, but also among the talented people who never get their opportunity and chances to publish their art work, however they no need to search for producers or film directors instead of trying to buy their easiest way to be a movie producer and director, because only Malaysian Filmmakers Organisation that have the power to decide who's ideas that usefull to aspiring our filmmakers. I only have one opinion about all this problem, make an advertisement in every city and town by sending flyers and advertise it in the newspaper every day and by website i'm sure they will send their art work direct to your organisation also you can search for an advertisment company in every city and state to be your agent to collect all the art work that send by the talented people...
dr_neux
2007-03-07 23:57:41 UTC
ideas and creativity..

malaysian film makers need to be creative in their products and not just producing something that is stereotype. Make some differences in the plot of the story as well as the climax and resolution of the story. it is sad to say that in some malaysian movies, the audience can expect what is the ending by just watching the first few minutes of the movie.

critics..

it is true that our malaysians have been supportive to the malaysian film industry so far. however, apart from being supportive, we should also be criticized. dont just support the film blindly. if it is good, praise them and if it is not, give supportive comments and suggest how the movie could be improved. and, the film makers have to be open minded and accept the comment given by the society.
simnatic
2007-03-07 07:19:37 UTC
Personally, i think that Malaysian filmmakers do have potential. I like Malaysian shows; i watch them often on TV3, RTM1 and blablabla. However, one disturbing thing is that most of these shows are already too predictable. (Begin happy, middle sad, someone die or dying, then in the end happy). Filmakers need to be more daring like their counterparts in the Western and Far Eastern world, they shouldn't stick to the same old stuff.

One good example was the movie 'Cinta' released late 2006. It showed some effort in trying to differentiate the movie from the usual ones but the filmography is not satisfactory. Scene changes are too sudden, too many main characters, story does not seem to link. So, Malaysian filmakers out there should continue on improving; take a leaf out of other nationalities' filmmakers, especially the Western ones.
aZz
2007-03-07 02:47:28 UTC
Simple. It's been said by all the answers in this forum. Think out of the box, a movie that intrigues the audience, a movie that makes the audience haunted by the message, plot and music of the movie even after they're done watching it. The problem is, most local movies are stereotype "forbidden love" and "happily ever after". Movies like Trainspotting, Hotel Rwanda, Apocalypse Now, these movies still give me goosebumps when I watch them again and again and again. These young filmmakers should have more platform to demonstrate their amateur work, like a screenplay or short film competition.
cris_5621
2007-03-10 19:40:07 UTC
First and Foremost, we have to get away with narrow minded-ism. This will affect the outcome of the movies. With limited passage ways, talented aspiring filmmakers has no choice but give the audiences such boring movies.

Give them the chance to make good films. Lets be open minded. DO NOT BE SENSITIVE. It's not the end of the world.

Yasmin go for it. I've watched your movies and I love it.

Comparing to the tv series and some past movies, sorry to say it but MANN it is boring.

SO lets give these filmmakers a break and let them do their job.
Eledron
2007-03-08 21:35:29 UTC
sincerely yasmin...i think the censorship policies in malaysia must be revised. Its a big obstacles for our filmakers. With so many guidelines and rules and craps to be followed and viloation of any of these will have ur butt kicked big time by the government.

Our filmmakers are chained and bound..we cannot excel. we cannot speak of taboo matters. We cannot dress according to script. we must use formal language etc etc..all this factors are actually very de-moralising and actually become a stumbling point for new-comers.

and there must some centralised body which can review a proposal or an intial intro shoots of a future movie. and if it is inspiring, a fund must be made available for the makers to continue with their project. People of malaysia got idea and skills but sometime money does matter.

i believe even yourself have greater ideas than those u allready done..but still somewhat stucked becos of all this bindings..right?
2007-03-08 01:46:25 UTC
The utmost omnipotent golden years of Malayisan filmaking age was during the era of Studio Jln Ampas. Other than that can be considered as lame, perochial and chronically cliche. Studio Jln Ampas triumph distinctively stood out as the indivisable juggernaut in the history of Malaysian Filmaking. Not even a single Sundance nominee or philinistic indie poser could have the slightest probability to outgun the legacy of SJA.
2007-03-07 22:06:36 UTC
A good question you have in here Yasmin. This is the best platform for me to express my opinions in Malaysia movie scene, by telling to a director like you. Once upon a time, Malaysians were into love theme movies and comedy movies (or romantic comedy).

Since the P.Ramlee era, people love watching this kind of movies. It Seems like comedy and romance are Malaysian's favourite. This legacy of delivering such movies is continued by Yusof Haslam (FOUNDER OF MODERN MALAYSIAN ROMANTIC MOVIES) and Razak Mohaideen (KING of LAME ROMANTIC COMEDY MOVIES).

Such movies can only be sold in Malaysia, they have no place in international screen. The storyline and the screenplay are so lame! And every time Malaysian movies hit the cinemas, the people who watch those movies are mostly Malays, because the story are close to the Malays' everyday life.

We are facing globalization era. Love, comedy and romantic comedy are so yesterday. We still need such genres, but minimise the quantity.

Have something more serious; look for more sources to produce a movie. Malaysia have great novelist who produced great novels. Also, look for the local comic scene. Comics from GEMPAK (www.gempakstarz.com) and local novels may be brought up to silver screen, becoming live actions.

A good movie is not necessary having high budget special effects. Of course, we cannot compare ourselves with the Hollywood movies. Look at Hong Kong films. Jackie Chan's early movies were low on budget but those movies reached the entire world. Now, he's able to produce movies with all kind of special effects.

Malaysia filmmakers are too depending on love, romance and romantic comedies to sell their movies. Also, they are using the fame of the well-known actors and actresses to grab viewers’ attention to watch their movies.

HOLLYWOOD famous with their special effects and high budget films, BOLLYWOOD famous with their dance and songs in every movies, what about MALAYWOOD?!
?
2015-09-01 22:47:20 UTC
Malaysia talented in filmmaking? That will only be said by Malaysians - ignorant and talentless bunch of braggers. All the movies produced in that retard and weak countries are all stupid and predictable. All about love, ghost and drama but nothing else. Dont brag about Malaysia films are going international, people will laugh hysterically.
2007-03-10 06:54:56 UTC
Dear Kak Yasmin,

Malaysian would have to first leave behind their 'new is bad, do not accept new' mentality. Inject some rationality into their brains (mine included, in a lot of ways!). Stop being the same stereotype bunch of humans who are, again said not acceptive to change.

Be brave. In accepting your flaws as well as the ideas of others. We would have to learn that acceptance does not mean that we are least perfect than others...It's just a way to move on...

Salut to you for your courage in ensuring that your voice be heard. Would love to meet you in person some day...Maybe even work with you!

Wishing you everything you ever want...
Love_Black
2007-03-06 22:36:30 UTC
I think the malaysian filmmakers should produce more aspiring and quality film in order for us to support them. It's time for them to go global. Some of my friends asked me,"Can I watch Sepet at America's cinema?".....What is the meaning of internationally recognition if the international audiences doesn't know about your film....audience is the best judge...
Molita K
2007-03-07 03:29:01 UTC
There is so much love stories a beautiful heroin and a handsome heroes. This will not gain much of attraction and its getting bored.

YOu can express love by knowing how each individual family is being raised, their problems that they face to stay on in this world, the truth, the politics in the family and the contricdicting of love and happiness.

Its hard to express but its a never ending love that can also be cruel towards the person that they love so much. Selfish for love, hippocrate for love or even revenful for loves.

Where we are and anywhere and everywhere work place, public, friends and family there is always bounce to be love in our heart that can be as abovementioned. All kinds of level of people in this world are living in this world and what they do in their daily lifes is because of loves.

Its how you put it the pictures as historical, modern, magical or preservative.

Love can also be horrorful. What the human needs its lots of patience and positive mind...................

The rich will grow richer and the poor is still poor

Love the religion , love the society, love the democracy , love the overpower of love....
2007-03-06 20:51:08 UTC
Well as we know that the Malays are giving the right moves in the movies industries by going internationally. Perhaps we should put a stop in having the thoughts of "what ifs".

Take PGL for example, something big like that should make it internationally, giving all the major film industiries look and listen to what the Malays have to say and they can do.

sometimes, its a bit boring to see the same old theme, and concepts that the Malays have in the movies.

we want something different and perhaps, bold(?)
2007-03-11 05:47:10 UTC
We should consider the mentality of the public as a whole and of course, the GOVERNMENT.

As far as I have live through my life, Malaysians are indeed very creative and they have talents par with the international stage. A gift thanks to the multi racial society and exposure to different cultures.

HOWEVER, this gift will go to waste if Malaysians are over sensitive over small issue (and sometimes, even racial issues like who should be on the billboard advertisement) and who can forget, the rediculous sensorship board.

Malaysians should learn from Thailand in terms of film making and entertainment. I totally disagree if anyone should mention that the Thai entertainment industry disagrees with Islam -this is not true, and people deserve their rights to choose! --- local actors from tv channels are included in their casting, are promoted, are widely exposed and are indeed very experienced. I do not see why Malaysians can't follow this example.

With the over abundance of pirated movies (who says they're going down?) and the sick mentality of buyers *because these copies are cheap*, how are local artistes going to make money?
Thundercat Ho
2007-03-08 19:08:44 UTC
Perhaps relevant government agencies and generous corporations can chip in and ship out talented individuals for exchange film-making internship programmes - no need to go to specifically to Hollywood or Bollywood - nearer hubs such as Thailand or Indonesia will do. Not that say that Malaysia is not at par but sometimes seeing how other people of different backgrounds and with different resources available can really be eye-opening.

Of course choosing the deserved talents is another important process, and hopefully veteran and experienced film makers will take time off and participate in the selection to ensure that the money spent of them will not go to waste, as we film fans will be expecting them to come back and produce gems.

As for those young film makers who are already making a name elsewhere but yet to be feted at home, keep it going.
joharifarihin
2007-03-07 10:39:15 UTC
Giving them the freedom to express with guidance that every " story-telling" is not only an art but also a responsibility to share on matters felt important. Colouring those points with the beauty of music,cinematography and fine acting will be like a painting...i look it at one point and so shall others at another level.Intepretations is an art by itself...No more should we make movies with grand settings, lavish costumes and over spoken acting.E.g. movies from Iran, less in words but intertnationally well received..and proves language is nothing in expressing art form.Sometimes less is beautiful.

Making government take into stride the importance of educating film makers and also film viewers, understanding the pysicology of it all is important..not only the film itself but all related inclusing the surroundings of the art form to be viewed and appreciated.

A simple story line and directness is also a must as no point beating around the bush when a fire can only burn it away..sort of speaking...

and to also mention the beuty of technical art of film making is also important to be shared at all levels of the movie family team.Actors shouldlearn to make the best of it, script writers must also learn the AURA and surroundings it offer for future works and again like a paitning, its value in every eliment will be taken into consideration...serious consideration.

Yasmin, you have done a great job in paving the way..take others into your arms and like a leader, you will have your own country.

Sallam

JJ
cezz7
2007-03-10 10:09:27 UTC
Expose them to all sorts of movies from all over the world,particurlarly from the US,not just the movies that are shown in local cinemas,why???look at their movies,they have great storyline,excellent cinematography,they make it real eventhough its fiction,thats why our own cinema is loaded with them and they have huge crowds too...malay movies are predictable,too predictable..but lately it seems that its impoving a LITTLE. Thats a good thing,still alot of things to improve..but its a good start.

Teach them to be creative and inovative..creativity is created from something, it doesn't come out from nothing. Make them explore new things..make them expose themselves to the world..

Teach them to be critical..malay movies are just lame..its a no brainer..just a waste of time..teach this so call aspiring and talented film makers to make films that have meaning..Tentang Bulan was a malay movie a liked..engaged me to think about friendship..

Hope this is useful..im not someone whose is even eligible to critise the industry,but if you have a fever you dont need a doctor to tell you that you're sick aight???

May these young aspiring and talented filmmakers change the malay movie industry to a better level. GOOD LUCK. MALAYSIA BOLEH!!!
aken
2007-03-08 04:14:05 UTC
Get tough on Malaysian movie pirates and actually stick to it.

It's still so readily available in so many parts of Malaysia. Nobody can hope to make much if anything they produce is out in the 'blackmarkets' 2 weeks before it hits the screen.
Daniel S
2007-03-07 19:02:48 UTC
I have seen many people involved in the fiim industry,in Malaysia and internationally. I want to say that education is very important.

A good education up to university level can change how you produce,or act,or sing. Even the things you tell the public.Of course what you do to represent the industry and country.
miss k
2007-03-07 02:42:32 UTC
neway, for me it's all about the determination and of course the quality not quantity. as in malaysia, most of the filmmakers are eager to make a lot of crap movies without considering the quality. kudos to yasmin ahmad for making great and meaningful movies. we got a lot of pottential filmmaker, such as bade and ahmad idham, but another thing we lack of, is the fund to make a superb movies. the gov should go hand in hand to help those talented filmmaker and should be proud of them. the same thing goes to the society, support the outstanding movies instead of supporting the artist only.
911
2007-03-07 00:38:07 UTC
Malaysian filmmakers need to consult the experts to enhance the effectiveness and relevancy of the message to the audience.

For example, if they want to do a film relates to legal matters they need to consult those who are in this circle like lawyers, prosecutors, policemen etc.

They also must ready to fork out reasonable sum for the cost to get better results of the film.

In short, they need to have a good consultant.
2007-03-06 22:09:32 UTC
I think the filmmakers themselves will need to produce a film which would motivate the moviegoers by delivering & provoking them to experience the unusual yet simple & fruitful stories which are well adversed and definately create the inner + curiosity + tense that would bring the audience back to the cinema naturally. .
Deep Sky
2007-03-11 20:59:04 UTC
The best way for malaysian filmmakers to move forward is to remove all the malays and pump in the indians and chinese.

It has been donkey years and still malaysia so super BACKWARD, (apart from the state of Johor that is growing only because of the economic spill over from Singapore).

In general Malaysia is not much better than Africa.
Adena Reena
2007-03-06 17:29:28 UTC
Try to do more communicate works and research on what kind of film that the producers wanted to come out with, MALAYSIA and other different country surely have different religions and believes, as for that try not to over doing a movie.

But as far as i can see, RELIGION is the 1st thing that REALLY SENSITIVE in MALAYSIA mostly to MUSLIM.

MOVIE with a bit touch of RELIGION should be okay but try to explain the "HUKUM".
2016-03-16 08:39:26 UTC
I 'm not a Malaysian but I ' ve been there .And yes I'm also addicted to Yahoo! Answers that's why I can understand ur boredom. Go , shut ur computer & take a stroll outside . Bye good day take care .
riduan s
2007-03-08 16:54:16 UTC
I'll believed financial, capable committed people, discipline actor and actress, spend / create more on trilling and actions movies not only a daily happening love stories. Making more actions then emotional movie not a drama's, we need the scenes for example areas in the sky, land and the sea we need stunt actor to do stunt works and equipments another factor involve big big money. When all prepare with value and quality people I'll believe "Malaysia Boleh" achieve world standard like bolywood movie they can make it with their "Musical action movie" alone why not country like Malaysia lots of histories, happening and scenery's. This only my opinion. Tks
kulcha
2007-03-07 23:16:49 UTC
U know P.Ramlee movies..I can never get bored even I watch it millions and trillions of time.

First get the young talents know of his grass roots rather than copying a Pulp Fiction like ideas.I seen lots of young talents just lke to copy...that's is why Asia is so pirated..even ideas are copied. I like CINTA, SEPET and GUBRA. they are so related to our Malaysian communities.

Second, teach them about writing, starting from his/her original experiences. There are alot of stories even with ourselves or with some pakcik or makcik anywhere.

Thirdly, show them the meaning of admiring and loving your own country..there are a lot of beautiful and places in Malaysia.

Lastly, theach them the meaning of life itself.To be a filmmaker you have to be a good storyteller. Story comes from within or experiences. Learn to tell stories to kids, father, mother, grandma/pa, friends, at cofee shops.

Thats what I'm doing to myself now.
al
2007-03-06 19:01:28 UTC
I think Govt support is essential (especially non-biased!! govt support). No such thing as 'bumi support' and non-bumis not treated fairly. At the end of the day, bumi or not, they're all Malaysians!!

Also one thing i find highly annoying - the quality of censorship here. I mean, come on, you blank off the word "balls" just because they are "balls", without regard to context? -- if you've watched 'One Fine Day' with Michelle Pfeiffer & George Clooney on Astro, you'd know what i mean.

Like, get a life!
ieja
2007-03-10 09:50:11 UTC
malaysian film-makers was woken up by yasmin ahmad by her movie sepet... from there more and more better quality film are being produced in malaysia but because of lack of knowledge and lack of funding also lack of trust of malaysian viewers especially malaysian film maker are better off making movie else where rather than malaysia...

one way to nurture and support malaysian film makers is to educate malaysian viewers... also it would be great move for malaysia to have a short courses for teenagers to teach them how to write acceptable script (for aspiring writers) and courses in directing and film making... it would be great...

but our country right now is more concern about being head in information technology rather than arts...
nAsHDi
2007-03-08 15:56:35 UTC
Nowadays...people in Malaysia expecially intelingence in judging which movie is must to see and which movie is crab.

Movie like puteri gunung ledang, and mukhsin is one of the best movie i have seen because it all about our culture and nice scenery.Movie like cicakman also is the best experimental superhero movie because its technology used is the 1st in malaysia. My suggestion to film maker in malaysia is tried the best to maximize the usage of the resource and make the script more relevence in the future. FINAS also must not filter too much scene like tahyul factor, gore, and etc... It now 21 century and people in Malaysia is clever enough to judge which is tahyul and which is not. Dont "anak tiri kan" film from Malaysia and leave the movie from other country come to malaysia with this all filtering factor. If goverment not supporting movie producer from Malaysia... who else? People from Malaysia is always supporting Malaysian people if the new era of Malaysian movies like Mukhsin,Puteri Gunung Ledang and Cicakman exist!
Partisan
2007-03-09 23:04:32 UTC
The truth is; we are way behind in terms of movie-making. Look at our neighbours like Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Phillipines and how different are their movies from us in every angle and perspective. Stop making movies that only you guys can understand but not the audience, you know.. (in another words; I Hate Too Artistic Movies!).

Plus, movies that insults our intelligence and confuse our minds (the audience, of course..) should always be avoided.

No point of winning awards here and there if the movies are not up to the audience expectations.. ;-p
azayi1
2007-03-11 21:00:49 UTC
Dear Kak Yasmin,

1st of all u need to figure out what's filmmakers goal on making these films.

who are filmmakers target audience..& the purpose..

-to get worldwide recognition ?

-or to get malaysian community support?

we need to remember that malaysian is a different culture compared to singaporean & internationally..

so how to get recognition given internal or externally will rely on this.

To win malaysian support filmmakers need to

1)Avoid :-

-making movies that only filmmakers can understand but not the audience,

-confuse audience minds (film suppose to be entertaining)

-overexpressed scene which makes the censorship board excited to quote filmmakers. (wether we like it or not.. we have to accept that censorship exists & is doing its job.. we cant change the fact.)

2)Must do

-educate your film stars. as we all know the act of actors will effects the film as well.. it will effect at least 30% of the viewers. (we know whom).

-make a reseach how movies like P-Ramlee gets most attention & how indonesian movies can penetrate our market.

3)Target audience

- most of movies in cinema's targets ppl from age 14-30's.

- make a film less relates on sensetive issue or sensetive scene.

Filmmakers need to know that :-

Most of the film that have succes in malaysia will not get recognition internationally.. & films that does not have a great succes internally get international recognition.. (spinning gasing etc).. so its the filmmakers decision to choose..

my opinion..

i've watch both Sepet & Gubra in DVD's.. i like it.. however, i dont think these movies can accepted by medium typical malaysian community or lifesyles.. it can only be admire by modern malaysia & open minded ppl which only covers 20-30% of the malaysian audience.. the rest will of the viewer simply love a movie like cicak-man because they are more straight forward.

tengasb53
2007-03-07 01:07:33 UTC
Gives freedom to them, so they can express their thinking and knowledge without being jeorpadise to people or community in our loved nation. Seems there are lot of red tape for them to express their own opinion through the film they made. Thus will limiting their thorough talent and know how.
Tsarina
2007-03-06 12:15:13 UTC
first of all, they should be given the leeway to think outside the box and not confine to a specific "tried and tested formulae" of using big stars just to be big office hits. I absolutely love gubra and sepet not only for it's engaging plot, but also the actors'talent although they are relatively unknown. combine these 2 elements, not only will it benefit the film industry but also provide opportunity for aspiring actors to showcase their talents.
gigidnl
2007-03-09 01:34:45 UTC
Educate them that art and film is one of the beautiful things happen in this world. It can peace your soul it can make you dream. Tell them out loud that any kind of film or documentary need to be documented whether it is small or big. And inform them to show to a person like you as there will be nothing to lose.
zer0 m
2007-03-07 19:31:59 UTC
Remove the limit the the local film standards. No more banning. Too much cencorship will make the film became less interesting.
nazaaz
2007-03-07 19:16:40 UTC
To provide ample chances for local filmaker to market their movies abroad. Let them be established abroad and then get respected locally. This is how the Malaysia community take it.
M M
2007-03-05 02:18:29 UTC
Hello there, show more local stuff on TV. Then people in the country can see that it's not true that local stuff is bad. I've watched Yasmin's Sepet and Gubra and thought they were fantastic! Well done, Yasmin!
John R
2007-03-07 17:52:50 UTC
Inspire them from Western Films. Give them a mind of imagination for the movie.
mrblurblur
2007-03-07 15:18:20 UTC
We have a mature audience but our Malaysian Censorship Board needs to grow up a little.
zulaiha
2007-03-06 17:10:26 UTC
we should give them a chance to make a film and watch the film.

other than that,they should gain more knowledge from the senior filmmakers that has been forgoten nowadays..it's not easy to make a film.so,they should be prepare by physical and mental.
josephine s
2007-03-09 00:02:26 UTC
Provide them with plenty of rolls of film and a big pat on the back when they get it right.We all love to be entertained.Perhaps keeping the script written in English

would go a long way to ensuring their success
auntiepee
2007-03-07 01:38:42 UTC
A direct support and encouragement: catch their movie at the theatres. Talk and spread the good reviews in Yahoo! Malaysia Movies. http://malaysia.movies.yahoo.com
melinna
2007-03-08 16:56:19 UTC
the mentality of malaysian is the first thing to change. who else gonna support our films is not malaysian? it was like our films need international recognition then they will watch it.
kl streetgeek
2007-03-05 02:14:07 UTC
I think the Malaysian audience has been supportive, but we must do more to support our local film makers! We must watch all their movies, and film makers themselves should go all out and experiment with different kinds of movies.
LKY
2007-03-06 10:13:33 UTC
Get the Malaysian government to stop banning movies arbitrarily
funtasteit4
2007-03-07 02:20:44 UTC
hey wazzup... frankly i felt proud with yasmin...the way she thinking..the 'foods' in her film make me feel full...

the emotion always playing in her film....muaah to yasmin!!

malaysian filmmakers have to think out from the box... make&create their own world...

search and take out the 'pearl' that they hide for a long time...

n the finas have to rearrange the rule...the law...

enough with east cultural statment...the most important the film its not against the islamic law...dowh!!
azirin k
2007-03-07 22:08:24 UTC
Condemn them more like the way they condemn Yasmin in the beginning,

Maybe they'll come up with more aspiring movies like yasmin does.

Aspiring condemnation i might add. not the ones that make them qualms..
2007-03-08 18:53:43 UTC
stop those idiotic, lame movies like those starring senario... they're a waste of time and money....

besides that, it's actually beneficial to produce english films... believe me, there's a stereotype that malay movies are lame... all of my friends are like that, but i am too! besides, it's a great way for the others to improve their english...

i didn't even watch sepet and gubra when they were released in the cinema.. i waited for them on astro.... great movies, though!

i'm a fan of jack neo's movies.. they really speak to you.. at times they're really really funny, but at times they're really touching... not like those senario movies... they're lame with a capital 'L'... sigh... LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME

the msian censorship board is a bit too much.... banning the part where an imam patted a dog.. according to some articles in the local papers, there's so such thing as not being able to touch a dog... and the govt asks us to protect and love our flora and fauna, and yet they fine only RM200 for abusing a dog.. the irony.

another great way to encourage us to watch local films is to show them on local tv and on astro.. you only need to wait a few months for them to appear on astro, but it's always on astro box office movies... that means you'll have to pay an additional RM10 approx. to watch them... not only local movies are shown on that channel, but from other asian countries too... on local tv, you'll have to wait for years!! and the quality of graphics and sound are worse than on astro!

PS: the censorship board once 'blanked' the word "bastard" but didn't censor "n*gger"..i think it was on 'Dreamgirs'.... proves that they're old-fashioned since they don't even know international slangs.
2007-03-10 20:08:54 UTC
maybe we can start by using our own ideas and stop copying other people film or movies . stop using controversy just to sell yopur film nowadays i think it being a very common habit to all filmmakers . usually they makeup all this rubbish scam or controversy just to sell their film . if you ask me i think its pathetic way to sell your film
Kimberley Tan
2007-03-07 09:56:52 UTC
You have, your film, determination, passion and views has encourage so many. Awards you have won is another boost of inspiration.
razlan m
2007-03-07 09:42:09 UTC
For me u are one of the best director. keep going on with new best film. U know the internet program EM-PAY.com.
kyrel
2007-03-11 07:08:03 UTC
Dare to Fail - give the chance to talent person esp non malay... we need them. when there is a competition, there will be an innovation
2007-03-09 08:06:51 UTC
Back them with funding. Give them government grants, etc.
pari2
2007-03-07 08:49:17 UTC
Great film!
2007-03-10 22:32:01 UTC
more publicity. advertise the movies and who cares where. if you want go to schools and hand out fliers about the movies go ahead. advertise the movies on the internet. more people will come to see their movies and they will be even more motivated.
stereothug
2007-03-07 00:18:24 UTC
hmm...do some home work. stop stereotypical type of story. spend a bit more. and keep it real to the people. then we might have a movie.
2007-03-08 17:33:39 UTC
Go and see their movies if they are playing in your area.
sadrhetoricend
2007-03-08 06:34:21 UTC
offer scholarships. organise more comps/fests.
lcm
2007-03-08 03:47:12 UTC
Hello Yasmin,

From here, these are several of my personal opinion that might/might not help.

1) Opportunity Opportunity and more Opportunities. We need support from sponsors that would provide the window of opportunity. If there are high quantities of support provided for local filmmakers by commercial sectors that could fund a small scales movie production for any "qualified" film maker where film maker are given "constraint" such as duration of movie, resources, expectation as well as the do's and the don't and also provide a "flexibility" in term of theme, story, and film maker's creativity with little barrier.

The reason constraints (time and resources) are set is to put pressure on film makers so that financially they do not exceed the amount provided (Resources: It is all about making money at the end of the day - Commercialize community). With pressure and stress, people work harder without slacking and taking things for granted. With constraint in resources, more bundles of resource can be allocated and divided to provide more opportunity for more local film makers. Furthermore, by setting up small scale movie of approximately 40-45 minutes in length (typical movie nowadays that length approx 60 -110 minutes) and provide cheaper fee tickets for local small scale movie production with "local promotion" to encourage and adopt movie viewers among local before inspiring the international market. We must always think internally first and externally later. There is no point proving to the world we are a worthy country when it comes to movie making when those fame only last for a night, but if we can aspire our local community, our people will look back 10 years later and still remember our local production if it is worth a remembrance. It would be our own national pride among our local. Just like how James Bond becomes an idol among Briton and now around the world.

2) Usually, filmmakers might be limited by their own creativity of being afraid due to community's conventional thinking and cultural shock that might occur among community as it would not be accepted. Then, the consequences would be the movie would be bared and the film maker being penalized for their work and creativity. But in my opinion, there are 2 kind of popularity; either you are no body or you are somebody.

Being no body, you are neither hated nor loved (not famous). If you are somebody, you are being hated by a group of "ANTI" instead you are also loved by "SUPPORTER". Therefore, the point is, we need to allow our local filmmakers to expend their creativity. (Though there are also limitation to avoid our cultural heritage from being scared, but sometimes certain things can be loosen).

One of the few examples of website that is widely visited and viewed by community around the world can be seen at a) www.youtube.com/, where people from all around the world of ordinary people uploading and sharing their own "homemade" video. Though, there are many unconstructive video, there are also videos that serve new ideas, methods, styles and themes. They maybe well-known and circulate a lot among internet users, but it is not widely circulate commercially. (Malaysia has low broadband penetration rate). Therefore, those ideas are still fresh and not widely implemented yet and who knows it could be adaptable by the community. We can be the first.

3) When it comes to advertisement, it has to be aggressive to spread the words out among local. We should build a strong back bone and foundation among local community in local market which require fewer resources compared to international level. We should bring awareness among local first and strengthen the local support on local production. With strong local market, film makers are indirectly being supported and nurtured by strong fans and strong market in movie making field.

4) From my own personal record, out of 100 movies i would have only watched 1/2 movies that are locally made and the rest are international film. Basically, there is lack of encouragement in term of local movie "hitting the box office" or hitting the most viewed movie mark among local. Though I do not know what is the statistic of local viewer actually view local movies. Maybe by looking this up will give a better idea of what would be the next best move the organization in charged should take before any drastic moves are taken. Correct and accurate information bring you a long way (quote: if you put in trash information in a database, you get trash output information)

I didn't really read through what I wrote and there might be some repetitive part. If any of my suggestion might indirectly offend anyone, please forgive me and I do not intend to or try to jeopardize our local culture. Though currently, we are facing a lot of westernization in our socio cultural among the young community just like any other Asia’s countries that are facing the same situation due to various factors, I personally think if our local film could gain popularity among local, it would reverse or slow down the effect of westernization and revive and strengthen our local culture. Perhaps even adopt new culture like a hybrid culture that is acceptable in both local and international. (You don’t find Kongsi Raya anywhere around the world - Strength of media and advertising many years back that promotion Kongsi Raya - Currently it is DeepaRaya) This is not only promoting Malaysia uniqueness but also our community bond to sharing our culture. (b)(c).

From this suggestion, this has crossed my mind. We do not need to follow the international trend, instead we could make our own trend among local. Perhaps one day, the international community will find it a trend for themselves as well. Just like how Search engine, Blogging, Video Streaming, Homemade video, etc widely becomes a trend among internet community.

Malaysia Boleh

::::edit::::

I didn't really read thoroughly all the suggestion stated but i roughly scanned through them all. Neither anyone of them are wrong as they are subject to their "personal" opinion. There are so many movie viewer and everyone has their own taste, preferences and desire. Therefore, they may sounds negative on feedback and also sounds insulting but they are also one of the many people that have the same opinion as well. There are certain opinions before me that i strongly agree on and partially agree on. But from what i see, oldies is oldies, keep it as past and a memory that will never be bittered. Lets say if you expect me to watch back old movie as in "very" old movies that i onces loved, i will hate it now as it would a totally different experiences now. Something new, fresh, untried and "truth" are always good any point of time as time progress.

For example, would would expect Broke Back Mountain to win so much award (d). There are a message in those movie and it is all truth. No point concealing the truth when the truth is already out there. Another example of a movie "An Inconvenient Truth", though i think it might be a little political behind it, lets scrap that part. The point is those movie send a message and it is true and people knows it and it is a big thing now.

Anyway, Yahoo: Good job with this website. It is a very interesting system. Very similar with wiki method and would be interesting to see it grow like what wiki status is right now (e). Maybe by using this system provided by Yahoo! Answer, local malaysian can suggest ideas and share local creativity where local film makers has access of those ideas to be included in their upcoming film?
MISSinterpreted
2007-03-07 20:50:44 UTC
More budget!!
Sarah